Monday, February 28, 2011

Roast Chicken With Whole Baked Tomatoes And Chicken Breast With Paprika

Poulet Rôti With Tomates Grillées Au Four And Suprêmes de Volaille Archiduc

Last week had three recipes from "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" but none from 1000 recipes. Actually I've had the idea to make scalloped chicory on Saturday, but my mum decided it was her time to cook. So I only had Thursday and Sunday.

Thursday was 'roast chicken with whole baked tomatoes' and potatoes. I know, I'm saying this quite a lot, but I've never made a whole chicken! Chicken breast and thighs ... but a whole chicken?! They look like babies!
I really had some problems with handling the looks of this chicken. First of all, I bought it for like maybe 3.50 Dollars (2,99 Euro) and everything was fine, because it looked not scary at all, very well packaged and frozen as it was. But then it's defrosting, you remove the plastic wrap and there it is ... a little creature, with human like skin and arms and legs and I felt very terrible.
Now that I think about it, I've made a whole chicken once with a former friend. We even called Bob back then... what were we thinking?!
So I was thinking all about little Bob while rubbing the chicken from the outside AND the inside with salt and butter. Then came the sewing. Julia shows several simple pictures of how to truss a chicken and everything looks so easy. Well, it's not. Or maybe it was just me, handling a way to small needle and white twine, which got bloody in an instant.

Julia says: "While it does not require years of training to produce a juicy, brown, buttery, crisp-skinned, heavenly bird, it does entail such a greed for perfection that one is under compulsion to hover over the bird, listen to it, above all see that it is continually basted, and that it is done just to the proper turn."
What can I say? I mean anything else but "HELLOOOO-HO?!" It might not need years of training to make a good chicken, but maybe at least one year?! My chicken wasn't brown or juicy or crisp-skinned or anything else but sad!

The tomatoes in contrast were great and I'll be having them again, soon! The sauce was great, too. The pictures sucks...



Sunday was "Chicken Breat With Paprika and Onions". At least sort of...
We had lunch at my grandma's and she had turkey escalopes, which usually turn out really dry. Perfect grandchild, that I am, I offered her help and decided to make Suprêmes de Volaille Archiduc with turkey instead. I have to say, it didn't look very nicely, but the taste was great! Sadly I have no pictures of it, because I forget to bring my camera.

This week I'll be making Côtes de Porc Poêlées!

No comments:

Post a Comment